Berberechos a la cataplana


No bento making in the weekends, but that doesn't mean no food is prepared, of course.  During grocery shopping yesterday, I came across a little box of cockles in the seafood aisle and I knew immediately what I would make for starters on Friday night : Berberechos a la cataplana, or Portuguese cockles.  [Although it is originally a Portuguese dish, I gave it a Spanish name as (a) I don't speak Portuguese but do speak the language of Cervantes and (b) I put Spanish chorizo in this dish].

I am sure that there are as many versions of this dish as there are cooks in the world but this is how I made them.

Ingredients (for 2 servings):
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 330g fresh cockles (strange quantity but that was the contents of the box)
* 4 shallots
* 4 garlic cloves (you can use less, but we love garlic over here so always use a lot)
* 50g diced chorizo
* 50g smoked ham
* chiseled coriander
* a pinch of chili powder (the original recipe would call for a tsp of piri piri or tabasco)

How-to :

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the diced garlic and shallots, until they are soft but not coloured.

Add the ham and chorizo, season with a bit of chili (or tabasco if you prefer) and cover. Let simmer a bit, shaking up the pan every now and then.

Add the cockles and the coriander, cover and let simmer for an additional 5/6 minutes, shaking up the pan again.  As soon as the cockles have opened up, the dish is ready.

Serve hot with some bread.





No comments: